|The palentological wonder of Hot Springs, South Dakota, known as the Mammoth Site, would not exist today without the foresight and generosity of Philip and Elenora Anderson. Philip was born on June 25, 1909, in Ljungbacken, Sweden and Elenora was born on April 13, 1919, in Hartford, South Dakota. They were married on January 15, 1940. Prior to their retirement in 1972, they owned 20 different farms east of Sioux Falls and ranched for 13 years west of Hot Springs at Minnekahta, South Dakota.
In 1974, Philip and Elenora owned land in Hot Springs. Philip hired a contractor to clear this land for a housing development. During the leveling of the land, mammoth bones were discovered. Philip and Elenora were instrumental in finding a scientist who would excavate the bones and leave them in Hot Springs. After discovering that there were many more bones than what belonged to just one or two mammoths, the Andersons decided there should be a community effort to take care of the bones. A non-profit corporation was formed called The Mammoth Site. The Anderson's donated the Mammoth fossils on the site land and sold the surrounding acres at cost to the Non-Profit Corporation. Twenty seven years later excavations are continuing with over 100 Mammoth fossils discovered at this National Natural Landmark. International paleontology conferences and visiting scientists convene at the Museum to continue the debate about the cause of mammoth extinction.
On June 25, 1992, Governor William J. Janklow declared Phil Anderson Day. Philip and Elenora were presented with a plaque of appreciation for their dedication to the Mammoth Site.
|Home Town (Rowena, SD)|