|In 1904, John Bamble and his brother, Andrew, came west of the Missouri River to homestead. They explored the area as far west as the Slim Buttes and stopped at the L-7 camp near the present town of Morristown. Then they followed the Grand River back to Evarts and home.
In the spring of 1905, the brothers decided to relocate to the area of the previous years journey. They crossed the Missouri River at Evarts with 100 cattle, six horses and some farm equipment. They found homesteads to their liking and filed at Seim before Commissioner Chas Dousman. <p>From the first day of settlement John Bamble took a prominent role in the city and surrounding area. He was one of the organizers of the American Lutheran Church in Lemmon in 1908. Meetings were first held in the present Palace hotel building. He helped build the new church in 1926 and later when the new Calvary Lutheran Church was erected, John Bamble had a part in its planning. He has held numerous church offices. <p>Mr. John Bamble was one of the organizers and a character member of the Lemmon Fire Department. He took an active part in it for more than a quarter of a century, missing very few calls to fires.
|Home Town (Lemmon, SD)|