Claymore, B. bt.jpg
Induction Category & YearProfessional 1978
Home TownSt. Louis, MO
BirthJanuary 7, 1824
St. Louis, MO
Mossman, SD

   Basil Claymore
Champion of Excellence

 Claymore was 16 years old when he came up the Missouri River form St. Louis to enter the fur trade as an employee of the American Fur Company.

He arrived at the trading post, later to become known as Ft. Pierre, on June 5, 1840. Claymore's first job was that of a camp keeper at a sub station located on the Grand River. In the spring he accompanied the winter fur pelts on a steamer down river to St. Louis. When Claymore returned, he joined Louis Vasquez on a journey from Ft. Pierre to Ft. Laramie. The route Vasquez followed was marked and later became the Ft. Pierre-Ft. Laramie trail. <p>Claymore became a government interpreter at Ft. Clark in 1854. He guided Major Wassler's army of 750 men from Ft. Pierre southward into Nebraska. There they met General Harney's expedition, which had taken action against hostile Indians of the area following the Gratin massacre. <p>During the Santee uprising in Minnesota in 1862 the military ordered General Sully's command to Dakota. Claymore was his scout; he quit taking part in the battle of White Stone Butte and helped build Ft. Rice. When Captain Fisk's supply train became covered by hostiles and was besieged, it was Basil Claymore that guided the relief force to rescue. <p>Claymore was an interpreter for the Peace Commission at the Great Peace Council at Ft. Laramie in 1868. When the treaty was signed, he returned to his family on the Little Bend. Claymore was 46 years old and had spent 30 of his years on the Dakota frontier where he had seen the end of the fur trade and Indians at peace on the reservation. <p>Basil Claymore became a government interpreter at Ft. Bennett. In 1870 he accompanied 19 Sioux Chiefs to Washington where plans for the sale of parts of the Indian's lands in Dakota Territory were discussed. <p>Claymore's services as a guide were again needed in 1873. This time for the railroad survey crews. They had started to run routes west of the Missouri to Glendive Creek at the Yellow Stone and Powder River, and the Indians offered resistance. The 7th Calvary arrived in 1873 to help General Stanley guard the survey crews. In 1874, while General Custer was exploring the Black Hills, General Stanley's engineers, led by Claymore, were seeking passageway for the Northern Pacific through the mountains of Montana. General Stanley's reports stated that he put more reliance in Basil Claymore's memory than on the written record of the Lewis and Clark expedition that the govt. had furnished him.

Home Town (St. Louis, MO)
Loading map...